744 Forum

Precision Simulator and so on

Speedbird 744 hits building in Johannesburg

Page: 1

Author Post
I fear this may be a write-off due to the general 744 replacement trend.

Starboard wing outbound of #4 probably gone, rest twisted.

Hoppie
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcKbX8PCIAEk1fa.jpg:large

http://www.thebasource.com/british-airways-b747-400-g-bnll-removed-from-building/

I doubt that will 'buff out'

G-BNLL had a C or D check earlier this year & although over 23 years of age & nearing 110k+ hours total time she was not slated for the BAW 744 retirement plan, which currently runs out to Jan 2016.

Ironically her younger sister G-BNLM was ferried to VCV last month for part out & scrapping.

Mucho head scratching at Cranebank & Cardiff but I expect her days are done.
« Last edit by G-CIVA on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:01:14 +0000. »
RIP G-BNLL. You've been a good friend.
Its a good reminder that a flight isnt over untill you're parked! Until then, keep your wits about!
Jeroen
More here:

http://avherald.com/h?article=46d6e18c&opt=0
The wing almost took out an entire floor! You get an idea of the size of the 744 when you see pics like this.
I'm amazed at the strength of the wing as it crashed through this apparently brick-walled building. I can't figure out why the wing should be designed so strong with respect to sudden impulse forces.

I suppose that if you make it strong enough to comfortably endure 600 mph winds and loads, it is then strong enough to crash through a brick building?

The airport shouldn't place buildings next to taxiways and vice-versa! It's hard enough to avoid crashing one's car into adjacent barriers and curbs - I can't imagine having to do this 100.000000% reliably with something as large as a 747, since you can't really look around and see where all the parts of the airplane are located.

I seem to recall that new 747 crew members get to practice driving around an airport using some sort of tube-framed 747 taxi simulator, but I can't remember many details. Maybe I'm just imagining such a training device???

Phil Bunch
They taxied onto a C172 ramp... The ground chart warned for this, but clearly the airport could have tried to fix the problem in a better way. Going from a 40 to 20 meter wide twy should have been a clue, but in darkness you see preciously little.

Hoppie
Update: It seems that the aircraft will be scrapped. BA has no hull insurance. The cost of insuring the 744 fleet for one year would be more than replacing an aircraft.

Rgds
JHW
Wonder if the same holds true for LionAir and their 73's...

:twisted:

Page: 1

744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software